Who can participate
- Producers with a fresh, innovative project for which they are looking for co-production partners and investors
- Production companies and studios looking for projects in which they can participate
- VRepresentatives of broadcasters, SVOD platforms, distributors, publishers and investors looking for innovative animation projects
- National and international funding institutions for film, television and digital media
- Young talents who would like to apply for the APD Talent Programme
Which projects can be submitted?
- Animation projects from the areas of feature film, series, TV specials, game, mobile content, cross- and transmedia
- Short film projects, if they can be further developed into other formats
- Hybrid formats (mix of live action and animated film)
- in concept and development stage
- suitable and open for international co-productions
- with potential for brand development
From the submitted projects, the jury will select approximately 50 animation projects to participate in APD.
APD is a curated business platform for the European and international animation industry with approximately 170 participants each year. Animation producers from over 20 countries present their projects from the fields of film, TV series, games and cross-media to potential co-production partners and investors in pre-planned one-on-one meetings. Each year, around 50 projects are selected from a growing number of submissions for presentation at APD, many of which are still at an early stage of development. Eight of the selected projects are chosen as part of the APD Talent Programme, which gives European newcomers the opportunity to present their projects in a professional environment.
In the carefully planned one-to-one meetings, the producers can evaluate the market potential of their projects and find potential partners for further development. In addition to production companies and studios, around 60 representatives of European broadcasters and SVOD providers, distributors and funding institutions take part in APD each year. They appreciate the opportunity to discover high-quality and commercially promising as well as particularly innovative projects and talents. APD thus offers an excellent starting point for initiating international co-productions.
The APD Conference is also part of the program. In practice-oriented case studies, technological innovations or new distribution and financing strategies for animation projects are presented and discussed. In a second conference part, broadcasters and distributors present their current programming needs and future programming strategies. Networking events in a familiar atmosphere offer the opportunity to continue the discussions and to deepen new contacts in an uncomplicated way.
The Stuttgart International Festival of Animated Film (ITFS) and the FMX – Film & Media Exchange, two world-renowned industry events, will take place at the same time as APD. They are characterised by presenting and discussing the entire range of creative forms of expression and technological innovations in the field of animation and related disciplines. Thanks to the special combination of film festival, conference and financing market, the three events have developed into a unique platform in Europe that attracts up to 6,000 industry professionals to Stuttgart every year.